Skip to content

Translating Your Driver's License Between German and English

If you need to have your driver's license translated between German and English, Teck Language Solutions is the place to go to.

If you are moving to Germany and need to have your US driver's license translated into German, we will help you with your request. But first of all, here is some basic information on when you need to have your driver's license translated into German and by whom.

Need your driver's license translated into German?

Turn to us and ask for a free quote.

When Do I Need My Driver's License Translated Into German?

If you go to Germany as a tourist or for less than 6 months, you can drive with your US driver's license, provided a certified German translation attached to it. In this case, your German driver's license translation has to be made by the German General Automobile Club, called ADAC. You have to visit one of their branch offices and show them the original document. You will find their contact details and a short English description of the procedure at the bottom of the page on this site.

If you move to Germany permanently (i.e., for more than 6 months), you can only drive on the German Autobahn (and on other roads, of course) if you have a valid German driver's license.

How to Get a German Driver’s License?

According to this source, the German Act regulating driving permits (FeV), Germany has bilateral agreements with several US federal states regarding the mutual acceptance of their driver's license classes. In this case, you can visit the local authority in Germany responsible for issuing your driver's license, called "Führerscheinstelle," and they will exchange your US driver's license with a German one without much hassle. More often than not, they will require the certified translation of your US driver's license. In this case, please turn to us.

They will accept your US driver's license class in Germany if it was issued in one of the following states and territories:

Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, South California, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington State, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

If your state is not on the list, you will have to go to the German General Automobile Club branch office and reclassify your driver's license or pass an exam. The American Chamber of Commerce in Germany has more information on this topic for you.

Here is some vocabulary that might be useful:

  1. The driver's license in German is called: "Führerschein" or sometimes "Fahrerlaubnis."
  2. The DMV or BMV offices in Germany are called: "Kfz-Zulassungsstelle".
  3. The department called "Führerscheinstelle" is responsible for your German driver's licenses.

If you need your driver's license to be translated into German, turn to us with confidence. We look forward to your inquiries.

Back To Top